Thanksgiving Trivia and Facts:
- The pilgrims arrived in North America in December 1620
- The Pilgrims sailed on The Mayflower, but there were actually two ships! The Mayflower and the Speedwell. The Mayflower made it to North America but the Speedwell had to turn back.
- The Pilgrims landed in Plymouth - Plymouth Rock! They saw Cape Cod first but did not land there because there were too many indians among other reasons.
- The Native Americans taught the Pilgrims to hunt for food and to plant their own food from seeds the Native Americans supplied. They also helped the Pilgrims build stronger houses.
- George Washington proclaimed a National Day of Thanksgiving in 1789, but President Lincoln made it official by proclaiming the last Thursday in November as a national day of "Thanksgiving".
- The turkey first domesticated in Mexico and Central America.
- Minnesota produces the most turkeys annually.
- Wild turkeys can run up to 25 mph and they can fly up to 55 mph.
- 90% of American homes eat turkey on Thanksgiving.
- The best way to defrost a turkey is in cold water.