- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium until smooth. Add sugar. Beat until combined, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg yolk until combined. Add vanilla. Beat until combined.
- Add flour and salt. Beat until combined, scraping down side of bowl occasionally.
- Between two sheets of waxed paper or plastic wrap with a rolling pin roll the dough to ¼-inch thickness. Cut out shapes. Reroll and use scraps until all dough is used.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes,depending on the size of the cookies, or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and cool on cookie sheet 5 minutes. Remove to cooling rack to cool completely. Decorate as desired.
These cookies can be made through step 3, wrapped well, and refrigerated up to 1 week, or frozen up to 6 months.
Tips & Tricks
These cookies are also the perfect consistancy for making spritz cookies.
25 minutes, not including decorating time
About 2 dozen cookies, depending on the size of the cookie cutters
Baking Time: 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of the cookies